Popular Posts

Thursday, July 26, 2012

North Bend, Oregon

I left Reedsport on a beautiful, sunny day.  It was windy out, but that felt good.  My first mile and a half went up another steep hill.  I was glad to finally get to the top, where there was a pull-out area with a spectacular view that included the Umpqua River Lighthouse.  The lighthouse was built in 1890 and was illuminated in 1894.

Having a mountain top experience!
From there I only walked a few more miles and found an RV park in Winchester Bay, where I set up my tent for the night.  I had a bite to eat in Winchester Bay, and took it easy that evening.  It was a pleasant day all around.  I'm really enjoying the fact that summer on the coast is fairly cool -- only in the 60's -- which is really nice for walking in.  I prefer a cloudy, overcast day to a bright, sunny day, but am happy that the temp has stayed fairly low.

The next day I walked 9 miles to William M Tugman State Park, just north of Lakeside.  I like staying at the state parks, because it only costs hikers and bikers $5.00 a night.  Most state parks have a specific area for tenters, usually close to all the hub, but the tent area in this park was quite remote, and rather seperated from everyone else.  And I was the only tenter there!  I was sent the opposite direction of everyone else, down a path, and out in the boonies!  Even though I really wasn't that far away, I felt really isolated and alone!  And then, to top it off, right near my tent site was a sign posted saying that a bear was spotted in that area on May 11th!  Granted, that was a few days ago, but still.... I made sure my 6 angels were around my tent that night!

Umpqua River Lighthouse
Unpqua River Lighthouse
Umpqua River Lighthouse


McCullough Bridge to North Bend, OR


McCullough Bridge to North Bend, OR

McCullough Bridge to North Bend, OR



I headed out from the state park around 8am, had breakfast in town, and then hit the road.  It was a cool, overcast day -- perfect for walking.  I walked 13 miles and crossed over the McCullough Bridge into North Bend.  Just barely a quarter from the bridge was the Itty Bitty Inn, where I stopped for the night.  They gave me an itty bitty price and the hot shower and comfy bed felt wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment