Popular Posts

Monday, May 28, 2012

Prince Rupert, BC

May 26 - 28, Sat-Mon

I arrived in Prince Rupert at 1:30am early Saturday morning.  I tried to hand in that darn Canadian document to the customs lady, but she told me to hang on to it until I get to Victoria, BC.  I mentioned that it was given to me in Yukon, and that I didn't realize I needed to carry it through British Columbia.  I also mentioned that I wasn't sure if I could get down to Victoria by July 3rd, the date I need to hand that in by.  She pretty much said have a good day, and turn it in at Victoria when I exit Canada.  So now I guess I'm going to Victoria with a deadline to meet:  July 3rd.

I took a taxi to Black Rooster Guesthouse, a really nice hostel/motel.  They knew I'd be coming in during the wee hours, and my room was ready.  When I finally got up, they pointed out downtown Prince Rupert (only 3 blocks away) and mentioned a few places I might like to see.  It was pouring down rain out, and didn't look like it was going to improve much anytime soon  I mostly stayed inside over the weekend, but on Monday I headed out anyway and went downtown and checked out a couple museums and explored down by the harbor.  It's a very nice, very hilly town, and I enjoyed my walk in the rain.  I stopped at a little bakery for a snack, and 2 men sat in the next table and started visiting with me.  After quite awhile, they got up and left.  We swapped business cards, and I discovered I had been visiting with the mayor!  I also stopped at the fire station and asked them for a patch.  When I told the chief I was a dispatcher from Alaska, he didn't hesitate and welcomed me in and handed me a patch from Prince Rupert.







Tuesday morning is going to start early, since I need to get down to the ferry terminal by 6am.  I'll be taking my last ferry ride down to Port Hardy, BC, located at the north tip of Vancouver Island.  I'll get in at 10:30pm, and that's where my feet will be on solid ground and I'll start walking.  From Port Hardy down to Victoria it's 310 miles.  I'm looking forward to walking down Vancouver Island.

1 comment:

  1. You may have to accept a couple of rides as your time runs out! Don't want you stuck in Canada abd don't think I'll have bail money! have fun and stay safe, Mom

    ReplyDelete