Popular Posts

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ketchikan, AK

May 23-24, wed-thur

Twenty hours seemed like a long time on the ferry.  The ride was enjoyable, and the weather was beautiful, but I didn't sleep much and I was ready to get off.

I was planning on staying at a hostel, but I was really reluctant about staying at this one because all the reviews online about this place are negative, and they all complained about a grumpy old man.  But it was so much cheaper than the motels.  When I arrived, the grumpy old man was outside working.  He basically chewed me out for not making reservations sooner, and he then ordered me to carry my cart up to the 3rd floor.  When I asked if there was anywhere on the ground floor inside or outside that I could leave my cart, he was extremely curt and short and said no, that I had to carry it all up 3 flights of stairs.  And that's when I got my cart, turned around, and walked away.  Locals said that Super 8 Motel was the cheapest around, so that's where I headed.  The hot bubble bath was wonderful, and I happily got all my laundry done.

The next day I had a great time being a tourist in Ketchikan.  I walked about a mile to the downtown area, then joined passengers from the 5 cruise ships that were docked to help improve the economy in Ketchikan, AK.  The brochures included a walking tour that covered several miles and a lot of interesting places to stop and check out.  I started off by checking out the Visitor Center, then started out on that walking tour.   A creek runs right through town, and the path and trails of this walking tour followed and crossed over the creek several times.  A lot of old buildings were along the creek.  There were about a zillion tourist-trap shops along the walk, and I was pleased with myself:  I only bought some stickers, a patch and some salmon jerky.

Some of the places I went to were the Tongass Historical Museum, Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery & Eagle Center, Tongass Trading Center, and the SE Alaska Discovery Center.  I think the Discovery Center was my favorite.  The weather was absolutely beautiful to be out and about in Ketchikan, AK.  It was a great day.





No comments:

Post a Comment