Popular Posts

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sitka, AK

MAY 20-22, 2012 - Sun-Tue

Today is the first day of my trip that I'm actually traveling alone, and yet, I so wish I wasn't.  I miss Kriss terribly, and she wanted to go to Sitka so bad.  I felt almost guilty going there without her.  When the ferry arrived at 12:30 pm, there was an RV park right next to the ferry terminal, so I asked the lady if I could pitch a tent there, and she said sure.  She pointed out a couple of picnic tables down by the waters edge, and I happily set up my tent in some soft, plush grass looking out at Sitka Sound with a beautiful view of the ferry docked.  I'm sure I had the best spot in town! 

Later, I started visiting with Jen & 14 month old Jake.  She & her husband have a charter fishing excursion and she would be staying there in their RV all summer.  She fixed us a wonderful supper of salmon & vegetables, and mentioned that she'd be driving the 7 miles into town tomorrow if I'd like a ride.

The next day we were heading into town.  She gave me the quick tour and pointed out several spots I'd like to see, then she dropped me off in the middle of town.  The first thing I did was hit a few of the souvenir shops and I bought Kriss a Sitka, AK t-shirt, 4 Alaska place mats, and some post cards.  Then I headed for the post office and bought an over sized envelope.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it only cost $12 to mail it all to South Africa.  I thought it would cost a lot more than that.

I did check out quite a few places, such as the Sheet'ka Kwann Naa Kahidi Community House, Totem Square, Castle Hill, St Peters by the sea Episcopal Church, and the Sheldon Jackson Museum. I also went to Sitka Luther Church, and also toured St Michaels Cathedral. But probably my favorite place was going to Sitka National Historical Park & Totem Trail. It was a beautiful park with many totem poles, and I really enjoyed walking around there.

                                                                                                       St Michaels Cathedral




No comments:

Post a Comment